Re: Fowl Pedestrian Jokes

Subject: Re: Fowl Pedestrian Jokes
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 13:28:00 -0600

The Douglas Adams rationale
(Forty-two) has me stumped.

Douglas Adams wrote a radio series entitled Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,
which later became a series of books, a television series, and I hear is
slouching toward movie status. It's a wonderfully absurd piece. (Approximate
quote: "There is a theory that the universe is intended to be a strange and
inexplicable place, and that if we should ever be able to completely understand
it, it will immediately be replaced by something even more strange and
inexplicable. There is another theory which claims that this has already
happened!")

Anyway, the characters in it are searching for the ultimate question of life,
the universe and everything. They need the question, because when an immensely
powerful computer ("Deep Thought", not to be confused with the chess-playing
program of the same name) was asked for the ultimate answer to life, the
universe and everything, the answer it gave was "42".

If you need a better explanation, check your library for the books
("Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", "Restaurant at the End of the Universe",
"Life, the Universe, and Everything", "So Long and Thanks For All the Fish", and
some others whose titles escape me at the moment). I couldn't do it justice in
even a moderate-length message.

OK! I CAN'T RESIST IT ANY LONGER:

Rush Limbaugh: To switch from the left to the right.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24