Testing for (in)competence

Subject: Testing for (in)competence
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 10:11:46 LCL

<< Geoffrey Marnell <gmarnell -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
<< Suppose that there is no accreditation process to help you select a
<< technical writer for a new project. Suppose, too, that you want to
<< create a simple test to help you select the best technical writer

Geoff: (Nice name!)
It's interesting to see debate on whether we should be tested for
competence as part of the job interview process. Since I've never been
interviewed without a test (always oral, usually written), I'm
surprised to see that there's any debate on this at all! Nowadays,
with dozens (if you're lucky) or hundreds of applicants for each good
writing job, you've got to come up with some way of eliminating the
"poseurs".
Selecting a good writer isn't as hard as it sounds... or to be more
precise, excluding the bad ones is easier than most of us think. Since
you specified the context of an accounting manual, try this test: Ask
the applicant to document how s/he fills in a deposit slip at the bank
when the deposit comprises cash (rolled coins and bills), money
orders, and cheques, and when there will be a cash withdrawl at the
same time. In your instructions you should hint (but don't specify)
that the depositor should also keep a record to update his/her
bankbook, and if they do so (and add text on balancing the checkbook
records) treat this as a bonus. Anyone who takes more than one page to
document this procedure, or who can't do it _well_ in one page, should
be excluded unless there is some justification for greater length
(e.g., lavish illustration of the text with images of the deposit slip
and detailed explanation of the fields, which would demonstrate the
person is at least somewhat visually literate).
Hope this helps!
--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <--- attempt at visual literacy