Profit ($) versus profit (!)

Subject: Profit ($) versus profit (!)
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 09:10:37 LCL

Herman Holtz (sp?) seems to have opened a minor can of worms with
the issue of using replies to make a personal profit. I agree with the
idea of asking people for permission to quote them in print (as
opposed to in e-mail, which provides context), particularly if there's
a commercial purpose behind your questions. (BTW, to those who quote
Herman, please don't quote his curriculum vitae in your response. Bad
netiquette!) But I want to do more than just agree, which wastes
everyone's time... I want to suggest another form of profit, which is
intellectual and professional.
Here's a proposal for mutual profit, in an entirely nonpecuniary
way: We could all profit from a brief article in Technical
Communication or elsewhere based on responses to issues raised in this
newsgroup. For example, we might propose a regular or semiregular
column called "professional views" or "views from the profession" in
which the author collects and summarizes these discussions. For my own
part, I'm going to do a little more research in the archives to make
sure I'm not duplicating effort, then propose a message thread on
technology transfer issues and usability testing for scientific
information (as opposed to user manuals). This is NOT a proposal now..
like I said, I want to do a bit of browsing first, and I'll post then.
In the meantime, anyone who's interested in this concept (and
specifically in tech. transfer and scientific info. usability), please
send me a private post (NOT to the newsgroup) at:
GEOFF-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
If there's enough interest, I'll pursue this more formally.
Thanks.
--Geoff Hart #8^{)} (Scary how accurate a self-portrait can be!)
"The longest journey begins with a single posting.