More on (in)competence

Subject: More on (in)competence
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 11:21:46 LCL

Ray Burgess wrote:
<< ...It [tests] is not only insulting its a waste of time. I was once
asked to produce a short description of how a water heater worked...
in 20 minutes. The comments were that it was a bit basic and therefore
not very good; which was true. I had told them that 20 minutes
earlier.>>
A very valid point, but what technical writer would ask for results
under such conditions? If the employer thinks this represents fair
working conditions, you might want to look elsewhere for a job. A test
should be given under realistic conditions; in this case, if you're
the tester, let the person come up with a first draft in 20 minutes
(or whatever), make a photocopy, then tell them to take the draft home
and resubmit a revision. I went through the same interview process you
did, with the same results, and I agree it's not very productive.
Nonetheless, some kind of test is necessary. Previous writing
samples are fine in principle, but how can you tell if the person
really did the work or is borrowing someone else's reputation? The
authors whose work I've edited rarely put my name in the
acknowledgments, thus, my work was passed off as theirs when they
submitted writing samples! As for using references, this is a tricky
business for a few reasons. First, no one will knowingly submit a bad
reference, so all you'll get is good references. Second, I've known
several managers who wrote glowing references to get rid of someone
they didn't like by ensuring that the person was portrayed as the best
thing since the word processor... which was far from the truth. Third,
if the candidate is truly good, I've known managers who provided a bad
reference (when contacted over the phone to confirm the written
reference) so they wouldn't lose a good worker. (I've had direct
personal experience with all three problems, so I know whereat I
speak.)
The bottom line, as always, is to obtain some indication of the
candidate's quality. Tests, samples and references are three tools,
each of which has advantages and problems. I can't see hiring anyone
without judicious use of all three.

Ray also wrote: << Thank God they don't ask lumber jacks to
demonstrate their work. We'd be up to ar..s'. in even more paper.>>
As a forester myself, I note (tongue firmly in cheek) that we are
already up to our asses in paper, and yes, they _do_ make lumberjacks
prove themselves before hiring. The work is _dangerous_ and there's
too high an injury rate to accept "hackers". Moreover, until they make
online documentation that you can read on the toilet, we'll still be
up to our asses in paper. (Furthermore, I won't use such a device in
the bathroom until they make "floppy disks" soft ?nd absorbent enough
to be (in your words, but in my rather indelicate reworking of the
concept) "up to my ass in paper!)
--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <--- why can't they make eyeglass icons that
wink?