binders for the one-armed reader

Subject: binders for the one-armed reader
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 15:36:44 GMT

-> i'm certainly in the minority, but i have a pet peeve. With only on
-> arm, I can't hold a manual open, and operate my PC, unless the manual
-> 3-ring bound or wire bound.

Dick, here's a solution that was suggested to us by one of our own
customers during a flame war about 3-ring vs wire-o vs perfect bound
manuals (we use perfect binding):

1. Get a 3ring binder that fits the book. An old IBM DOS one would work
just fine, or see what your local office supply store has.

2. Take your perfect bound book to your local printer, and ask them to
slice off the spine, thus creating a stack of loose pages. They have
great big gillotine cutters that can do a 6 inch stack of paper so it's
no problem for them.

3. Give them the binder, and ask them to drill holes in the book to
fit the rings. Put the drilled pages in the binder, and you have a book
that stays open. Bonus: you can put your own notes in as well, on
separate pages, if need be.

Some printers will do this for free if you're really nice about it,
since it takes so little time to do it it's hardly worth writing up an
invoice for it.

I thought it was a great idea, and a few of our customers actually went
ahead and did it. I'll bet you can scrounge up a pretty good collection
of old 3ring binders, and do your whole collection of manuals.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world in '94 800-999-9619 805-873-2500