Re: US English

Subject: Re: US English
From: Helena Jerney <hjerney -at- HUDSONBAY -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 16:20:38 +0800

> Without coming out on either side of the issue (because I haven't really
> been able to make up my mind), we need look no further than Canadato see
> how divisive the language/culture issue can be. Is it so unreasonable to
> suggest that such issues could someday lead to the secession of the
> Spanish-speaking states, or the French Quarter of New Orleans?

Canada's problems are very deeply rooted, language is just one way
in which that conflict is expressed. There are many years of history
and politics behind the language/culture issue in Canada, that have little
to do with official languages and what they might do to a country.
It is also important to note that French-Canadians constitute over 40% of the
Canadian population, more than any one minority in the US.

By the way, English and French are equal official languages in
Canada.

Also, as it turns out, Switzerland has three official languages, and
they seem to be in pretty good shape.

Helena