Re: Marketing/propaganda in documentation

Subject: Re: Marketing/propaganda in documentation
From: Alan Yelvington <alany -at- TEKIG5 -dot- PEN -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 09:38:55 PST

I have to agree that marketing needs to get their two bits in,
but the frustration factor can run high.

The marketing overhead on manuals can get quite expensive when
you're translating into four languages.

I do agree that the person who gets the product may not have been
the person who ordered it (good point). I also agree that when they
have shelled out thousands for something, a little validation in the
manual can go a long way.

I just wish that marketing would write and publish their warm fuzzies
by themselves and let me go to the facts.

Just my two bits,

Alan Yelvington
Tech Writer II
Tektronix, Inc.

"We must remember three things," he said to them.
"I will tell them to you in the order of their impor-
tance. Number one and first in importance, we must
have as much fun as we can with what we have. Num-
ber two, we must eat as well as we can, because if we
don't we won't have the health and strength to have as
much fun as we might. And number three and third
and last in importance, we must keep the house reason-
ably in order, wash the dishes, and such things. But
we will not let the last interfere with the other two."

About Ed Rickets

John Steinbeck, The Log From The Sea of Cortez.