Re: Marketing/propaganda in documentation

Subject: Re: Marketing/propaganda in documentation
From: Susan Fowler <sfowler -at- EJV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 08:02:01 EST

I always put the marketing information in the first chapter of the guide. The
reason is that the person reading the guide may not have been the person who
bought it: The buyer might have been his or her boss, his or her predecessor,
an executive in the company, a consultant....

When I've been the recipient of a package I didn't pick, I've found it very
confusing to get a guide without a benefits and features section--"WHAT is this
thing supposed to do?"

Also, the benefits and features section comes in useful at license renewal time
and/or upgrade time. It explains why the product was bought in the first place
and why you don't want to throw it away and replace it with someone else's
product.

I hope this helps.

--Susan Fowler
sfowler -at- ejv -dot- com