Re: Setting up online help/documentation systems

Subject: Re: Setting up online help/documentation systems
From: Janie Bergen <BERGEN -at- UNTVAX -dot- BITNET>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1993 20:23:14 -0600

>I'm currently in the position of developing a new documentation set entirely
>from scratch. There is no existing documentation to model after, and I am
>responsible for defining style, content and delivery. One requirement is
>that the bulk of the information (everything except installation
>information) be delivered online. I'm currently using FrameMaker for word

Wow! This situation mirrors mine almost exactly. I'm not using FrameMaker,
though. I'm creating the text in MS Word for Windows 2.0c. The "PLAN" is
to then save the file as ASCII and use a program by Dovetail Software
in Denver. That program requires that I embed all kinds of code and then
run it through the Dovetail compiler. If anyone has suggestions for good
tools, PLEASE post or e-mail me directly. In my case, I need to eventually
port to O/S 2, UNIX, and ---very possibly ---the Macs. The need to port
to other platforms was a big factor in our choice of tools, but it looks
very complex and time consuming. Also, doing the ASCII thing prevents me
from having any control over leading, kerning, etc. My research indicates
that online documentation needs to be "opened up" more than average
text.

I'd really like comments, suggestions, or sympathy.

Thanks.

Janie Bergen