Re: Setting up online help/documentation systems

Subject: Re: Setting up online help/documentation systems
From: Edwin Putkonen <eputkonen -at- BIX -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1993 18:28:04 -0500

There seems to be a dearth of such tools. I primarily
work for a software systems provider for local governments
and utilities. The majority of these sites utilize UNIX systems
with ASCII terminals. We've recently gone through the painful
excercise of converting good paper-based documentation from
Pagemaker/Quark Express to on-line text. Because we use ASCII
terminals, most of the existing solutions, Frame, Interleaf, and
the most popular SGML tools are out of the question. We've had
to use a less than satisfactory process of converting to Word and then writing
macros that tagged by style. Our program
mers have created some simple
programs that format the text based on these tags. An on-line reader
with indexing, topic outlines, and keyword search was also created. This
however was a rather poor solution - all of our documentaion now looks
like the infamous UNIX "Man" pages. If anyone can suggest some
alternatives, the help would be appreciated.

Edwin G. Putkonen
Information Innovations
eputkonen -at- BIX -dot- com