Optimal line length for sales documents in pdf

Subject: Optimal line length for sales documents in pdf
From: Di <dicorrie -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 15:20:29 +1200

I have a new manager with a sales background.

He was writing a document.

I saw that he had taken our standard template for long documents, and
removed the indent on the body text. So the document had virtually no left
or right margins and the length of line was almost the entire width of an
A4 page.

I protested. Seven years I have been telling the staff why it is important
to leave the indent in and keep the length of a line to about the width of
a person's eyes.

He explained. That's because you write documents that people need to read.
This is a sales document. Sales documents are judged on the number of pages.

I could not think of a suitable answer.

I know that in responding to an rfp it is very important that the sales
team use the formats that have been given. But this was not one of those,
and his argument was a new one on me.

Has anyone else encountered this?