Re: Optimal line length for sales documents in pdf

Subject: Re: Optimal line length for sales documents in pdf
From: Sean Brierley <sean -dot- brierley -at- gerberscientific -dot- com>
To: "TechWhirl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 08:58:08 -0400

Hi,

Why were you told the width of your eyes was a good length? Is there
research to support that?

When I began, I was told "four inches" was a good line width. Being a
horsey kind of guy, that's always stuck with me, but I can't support it
with research.

Anyway, ignoring multiple column requirements and that pesky
print-versus-online thing, here's what a quick search on the Web found:

- 50 to 60 characters per line
http://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability
- 66 characters per line http://webtypography.net/2.1.2
- 95 characters per line
https://viget.com/inspire/the-line-length-misconception
- 9-12 words per line
http://www.fonts.com/content/learning/fontology/level-2/text-typography/length-column-width
- Looking at the 8,5x5,5 document I have up, I use about 70 characters,
10 words, 4.125 inches.
- Looking at an A4-designed doc I set up, I use about 80 characters, 15
words, 4.75 inches.

Cheers,

Sean