RE: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"

Subject: RE: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 19:39:52 +0000

Your wish is granted. Only because nobody's getting it, and the time and interest isn't really there to take it up further.

This is a niche problem, encountered only by a small group of writers currently, which will get larger only as more companies hire global teams of virtual contract writers (software technical writers).

Each writer who encounters this will have to work it out for him or herself.

The only good news is that the market for this is still rich with opportunities so these writers can still do well.

If at some point they revisit the clause for this category of writer, it will open things up for that individual but as of now they are at a disadvantage relative to writers elsewhere in the U.S. and perhaps the world.

Give it a year or two or three. At that point it will be common enough that someone else will raise the issue.

It's too bad that so much noise from so-called "experts" obfuscates and drowns out a perfectly good topic for discussion, resulting in people focusing on all the wrong things.

But, so be it. I think from my vantage point I've gained enough understanding that I can empathize with the writers involved.

I think that's now maybe 10,250 words and I'm out of gas. :)

Steve

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 10:18 AM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

This is off-topic and you've already posted about 10,000 words on it.
Please drop it.

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW