RE: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"

Subject: RE: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 16:51:32 +0000

It's actually a common pathway to a greater success. Increased visibility is a good thing.

I've watched one local individual (not tech writing but a related field) rise up over the past 10-15 years from just another bloke in a job to become sort of an industry expert, well-received book, sought out for consulting gigs, plus you never know what can happen from here -- folks who reach a certain level can get hand-picked for interesting things.

Sitting in your cube and just grinding away is not going to get you much recognition, as I'm sure you've noticed over your career -- not trying to be rude here, just realistic.

Oh, and the fellow who did this, did all of it through good jobs and bad -- mostly he ended up at great places for his full-time gig, and remained incredibly active beyond his job to stay at the cutting edge of his field.

If I may be so bold, I do observe that the thought leaders in Tech Comms do seem to be climbing all over each other to get to the top, whatever that is.

Still, you've got to make some noise to get out of your silo.

Steve

PS - The local guy worked really hard and he spent a lot of hours on "extracurricular" work, and it really paid off. I don't have all the facts but I get the sense that he calls many of his own shots. Certainly different from the picture 10-15 years ago. Like any entrepreneurial thing, you must be willing to work hard and put in many extra hours. If that's not appealing, then you have to accept the pace of advancement in your regular job, which as you know Is not always aligned with what you want. You have to put in crazy hours to change your destiny. This guy did that.

On Friday, June 19, 2015 7:17 AM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

I don't see the professional value in seeking recognition outside of work.

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW