RE: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"

Subject: RE: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 00:59:17 +0000

Yes, have you found a legitimate exemption to that one? It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

It seems like that law was designed for low-wage earners, whereas it cripples professionals who want to get ahead (tech writers, certainly, as one of the "exempt from the exemption" crowd).

To my knowledge California is the only state that puts this restriction. Which means that writers from other states can clean up, whereas the California writer has serious caps.

Although, my example was more about night school for the career-changer, or schedule for somebody starting a business, rather than just writing. But true, if you're getting any kind of traditional income (W-2/1099?), you're typically not going to be able to put in those kinds of hours, certainly not at straight time. (This refers to contracting work, not FTE.)

Steve

On Friday, June 19, 2015 4:59 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

Not for software tech writers in California. We're non-exempt by law.

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW