Re: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"

Subject: Re: "Are technical writers the unsung heroes of document generation?"
From: Scott Turner <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 13:56:05 -0700

The real down-side is that if you treat people like hourly employees, they will work like them. There is a totally different mindset that comes from working to a clock. If you tie my compensation to a time clock then you will only get the work from me in my job description for the time on the clock. Anything extra you WILL provide extra compensation.

As an exempt employee, my extra compensation comes from the flexibility that not having to work to a clock provides. I am not paid by the word, but for completing the tasks of my job in a timely manner.

Thus as an exempt employee an employer can ask me to do document design, writing, editing, sharepoint design and documentation and even management tasks within the organization. As a non-exempt employee I am bound by a much narrower designation of my job.

If the employer is so shortsighted as to tie a competent employee to a narrow job description and compensation plan, then their organizational competence is degraded. And it is probably safe to say that they follow the Gordon Gecko school of business philosophy.