Re: So now we are content engineers?

Subject: Re: So now we are content engineers?
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 09:53:37 -0800

On 11/6/2013 1:33 PM, Janoff, Steven wrote:

... I'm still trying to understand what "content" means.

Dirt in the hole of knowledge.

PS - I wish more of the leading-edge thinkers in our field would spend more time doing more research studies as opposed to only opining. But that does take a lot of time,

And money. Research studies are funded by someone who expects to profit from the study. Where is the profit in learning how people learn from technical writing when so many companies view technical documentation as a low priority?

If you really want to see studies in technical writing, then look for how those studies can produce a profit for someone. There may be something in whatever direction you look that you may not have thought about before.

You can write your own analysis of available studies that is tailored to technical writing. Like, look at how people get information from advertising and determine that some product is more useful than another. Look at the studies on layout and design and what researchers have determined is easier to understand. Find some studies on basic learning that compare the different learning styles of tactile, auditory, and visual learning. Find some scholarly articles about how to write for these different learning styles. Assemble the available information and prepare your own scholarly article.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ