Re: Show what I'm doing, show what you're doing

Subject: Re: Show what I'm doing, show what you're doing
From: Gregory P Sweet <gps03 -at- health -dot- state -dot- ny -dot- us>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:12:02 -0500

There really are not any unsecured screen sharing applications on the
market today. GotoMeeting, WebEx, Adobe Connect, are the big players in the
marketplace.
WebEx and Connect offer free version of their products that allow for up to
3 participants.
WebEx and Connect both allow remote participants to take over Mouse and
Keyboard from the presenter, but there is no security concern there since
the presenter can cancel the access by just clicking on the screen.
Connect allows you to create pods for just about anything, including
multiple screen sharing pods you can assign to the remote participants --
handy if you want to watch a group complete a task ala the instructor
standing behind the row of students.
All 3 provide the ability to share your entire desktop or specific
applications
WebEx and Connect can also share single documents
WebEx and Connect everything shared is also a whiteboard with group
annotation if allowed.
Goto does not allow group annotation

Since I've been using WebEx for about seven years that where my expertise
lies. One of the major security features of WebEx (at least before Cisco
bought them, not sure how much of this Cisco has torn down, they don't talk
about it) was the Mediatone network -- WebEx owned and maintained a
private, world-wide, real-time switched network. None of what you shared
was persistent on the network it was just switched from your machine to
your remote participants. Once the pack was at the remote participants
there was nothing on the servers to steal.

Most of these systems work and achieve the efficiency they do (think
broadcast slides to 3000 end points with fraction of second latency) by
taking a snapshot of your screen and broadcasting it. Then they constantly
take snapshots (like a movie camera) but only transmit the pixels that
change, so even if some data did leak out, chances are it would be a
useless slice of screen near the mouse. Someone would have to break in and
steal the whole stream to get anything useful. In most cases, unless you
record the session and store it on the hosts servers or upload documents to
the host servers, nothing persists after the session.

-Greg

11/16/2012 12:14:08 PM: