Show what I'm doing, show what you're doing

Subject: Show what I'm doing, show what you're doing
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:14:08 -0500

Among those of y'all with ordinary permissions and access to your company-provided
computers and networks, what (if any) methods do you use to share a live screen
with another person?

For example, we use Go To Meeting a lot for presentations to geographically
dispersed groups, or to have far-flung participation in discussions that have
a visual component. The meeting owner, by default, has her/his/their screen and
activities broadcast to all callers, and can choose to relinquish being the visual
center-of-attention to other participants as they make their individual presentations
or show some process or situation.

Are there any security concerns?

Is this the sort of thing that two people in geographically separate offices of one
company might use, so that one could demonstrate something to the other, or
one could help the other configure or debug a tool or product? I mean, I know
it COULD be, because I've done it, via my manager's GTM account, while he
didn't have any meetings scheduled. But are there better ways when it's just two
or three people involved? Notwithstanding any potential security concerns,
when (say) techwriter and developer are discussing/demonstrating pre-alpha
product, it just seems overkill to send all that material out to some distant
third-party entity (host) just so it can come back into the company network
to reach another desk. I mean, we still host our own Exchange Servers for
worldwide in-company e-mail, so that we DON'T leave our mail to somebody
else's infrastructure.

Are there other current apps that make more sense for one-to-one screen-sharing
activity?

Our IT dept., of course, can take over our systems remotely, for IT reasons, but
I'm not interested in giving out that ability to any old person in the company.
Show-and-tell, yes. Relinquish control, no.

I use Remote Desktop and !m (NoMachine) to remotely work my own machines,
but that's not shared sessions. If I log into a Windoze box with RD, that action
pre-empts and closes any local session I might have had open. If I log into a
Linux box with !m, my local session can remain alive, but the !m session is
separate, and the one is not visible to the other - except for mysterious file
changes that might occur. :)

I know there are various tools out there, some of which have been around since
the 90s, I'm just interested in what's in current use, and why you (or your employer)
prefer it. Also, why do you TRUST it, when your visual conversations are company-secret?

Oh, and I have Windows 7, as do many other co-workers (cow-orkers), but many
still run XP until their PCs come up for replacement.

Thanks,

- kevin

or disclosing it.

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs