RE: Show what I'm doing, show what you're doing

Subject: RE: Show what I'm doing, show what you're doing
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'McLauchlan, Kevin'" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:08:20 -0500

Kevin McLauchlan asked about security concerns when allowing a co-worker, or
several persons in a web meeting to see your desktop or an application, or
to let another person control an application on your PC in an application
like Go To Meeting.
______________________________________
My employer uses WebEx. There is a corporate WebEx account, and anyone who
has a good reason can call the WebEx number, request and register a session,
and invite other participants. When I've needed access to a new version of
software being developed, one of the developers would set up a WebEx session
with me, then take over my PC, verify that I had the requisite support
software (such as SQL or Dot. Net), check the settings, then install the
test or demo version of the software that I would be writing a manual for.
Unless you specifically choose to record a session, it will not be saved. It
was the company's standard practice (the developers are in another state)
and I never thought about the security issues.

Like anything else, I think there is a potential for abuse, but if the
company subscribes to a reputable service, is billed for its usage, and
audits the billing records, someone should review the usage and spot any
questionable or unauthorized sessions. I don't know if there are any similar
applications that allow only for one-on-one interactions.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs