Re: Dealing with samples...

Subject: Re: Dealing with samples...
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 14:18:37 -0800

It's been years since I actually asked for samples from candidates. If I see that someone has shown up with a portfolio I'll ask if those are examples of their work and we'll discuss them, but generally I get what I want to know by asking candidates how they go about specific functions, such as determining document requirements, developing plans, schedules and outlines, obtaining buy-in from stakeholders, getting reviews and document validation done, etc. Yeah, I'll ask them about writing and editing, but by the time I'm interviewing writers I'll already have style guides and customized spellcheck dictionaries in place, so the best of all possible responses is for the candidate to ask about my style guides and announce that he or she is a style chameleon whose output will religiously comply with company formats with suggestions for improvements being offered for consideration rather then unilaterally inserted.

The best reference info anyone can bring is a list of people I can talk to who will tell me what great documents the candidate produced for their products, and the candidate's last direct manager doesn't necessarily need to be one of them.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>

If I can find something on the Internet, I point them to it, as it is
obviously public at that point. However, you'd be surprised at how much
changes or disappears on the Internet.

Other than that, I explain I don't keep samples because the work is owned by
the company, not me. Much of the work is confidential or classified and I'm
not authorized to release it. I hope they respect that I will treat their
material with the same respect. If that isn't good enough, I really don't
want to work someplace who wants you to compromise previous contracts and
agreements.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help