Changing attitude towards unfavorable employers

Subject: Changing attitude towards unfavorable employers
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 12:55:51 -0800

From: "wanda" <wetcoastwriter -at- me -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 11:05 AM
Subject: Dealing with samples...

> Other than completely changing my attitude about my former employer...what other actions can people suggest I take?

Wanda,

You opened a big touch point for me.

Many jobs are won by relationship, not just work history. Your
volunteer work with OpenOffice is a valuable ace in the hole,
especially if you can can get personal recommendations for how your
work has helped users to accomplish their goals.

Before I started at my current role, I was fortunate enough to attend
a coaching seminar organized by BCIT's tech writing alumni
association. I asked the same question: "How do I ensure that I leave
behind baggage from the past to give my whole self to the new work
that is required?"

Essentially, I wanted to be sure I started with a clean slate, after
leaving behind a really bad experience.

A lot of the sessions (there were four coaches) all brought up
personal ownership, and the avoidance of blame. Just because you had a
bad experience does not mean you're a bad employee: Different work
environments require different tolerance levels, and the key is to
find the best fit for the moment.

As much as employers would have it, we are not interchangeable. I used
to work in a clerical role, where a sales rep turned manager said her
responsibility was to fill seats with warm bodies. Never once did she
consider that we needed people who not only handled the duties of the
work, but understood the cross purpose function of each member of our
team.

Fortunately, today's employers are not just looking at how "good" you
are at what you do, but how well you work with others. If (general)
you don't win a specific role, consider that other factors came into
play, not the quality of your work. They are looking out for their
best interests, and in some ways, yours as well.

Peace,

-Tony

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help