Re: The audience doesn't know what it needs was: RE: What is "wellWritten"?

Subject: Re: The audience doesn't know what it needs was: RE: What is "wellWritten"?
From: "Kevin Amery" <kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 09:00:38 -0400

On 5/16/07, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:
I don't know
> how low the level of knowledge of the average SW
> user is, not being in that business, but for the products
> I've worked on, when I encounter people who express
> the view that the users don't know what they want or
> need, it usually just turns out that the the users have a
> pretty good idea what they want and need and the
> people who think they don't are developers and/or
> product managers who have simply not taken the time
> to find out.

I once worked in a company that went one step further than that. When
numerous customers *asked* support if a given feature could be
developed, if the PM didn't like that feature he'd say the customers
were wrong or "aren't really our customers" (despite the fact they'd
paid good money for the product).

And yes, it ended ugly.

--
Until next time...