"Appears" vs. "will appear"

Subject: "Appears" vs. "will appear"
From: "Keith Hansen" <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 11:10:32 -0500

I want to canvass your opinions here. Which do you prefer:

No. 1: "Click the ABC button. The XYZ dialog box appears."
No. 2: "Click the ABC button. The XYZ dialog box will appear."

I prefer "appears." It's more concise (one word vs. two). Also, "will
appear" sounds like a future prediction, rather than a statement of what
occurs. Compare the following:

"The clouds gather. It rains."
"The clouds gather. It will rain."

Please vote for No. 1 or No. 2. Give reasons for your preference.

Thanks.

Keith

P.S. BTW, I had a colleague who abhorred the use of the word "appears"
or "will appear." She said it made the process sound magical
("Abracadabra! It appears!") So she would write a sentence like this:

"The XYZ dialog box is displayed by the software."

But this is passive voice (if I'm not mistaken; the subject is acted
upon, rather than acting). So the sentence was then rewritten like this:

"The software displays the XYZ dialog box."

However, the subject of our sentence (software) is not really the center
of our attention here. The center of attention is actually the dialog
box, which is now shoved to the end of the sentence.

Personally, I can live with "appears"!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList