RE: Writing Test

Subject: RE: Writing Test
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Brad Whittington" <brad -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:11:03 -0600

I have to wonder what this writing test is measuring. If it's whether
the prospective tech writer can manage a simple expository paragraph or
not, surely there are more efficient ways to do this than waiting until
the interview. Personally, I wouldn't want to have a candidate on my
interview list who hadn't already demonstrated that capability.

If it's whether the person can do the real job, it would make much more
sense to give the candidate an opportunity to write or demonstrate
something germane to the work in the interview. If the candidate should
be an SME, give him or her a piece of a real live project to tackle. If
writing competently for the job requires gaining some additional
knowledge, provide the essential background info within the assignment
or provide access to the necessary resources.

It might be necessary to scale the assignment a bit or make allowances
for what the candidate cannot reasonably be expected to know. But it
stands a much better chance of being useful than the exercise Jim
encountered.