Re: Writing Test

Subject: Re: Writing Test
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 16:34:15 -0500

That's a good point. How many of us would ask that question at the point of being given the exercise? As good techwriters, we probably should ask those questions -- What is this test going to tell you, what are you looking for, what kind of documentation, who is the audience for the documentation, etc. In an interview situation, we're often not as assertive as we might be on the job because we want to make a good impression. Without knowing what the test was for, making an assumption about how to approach it would be risky.

If the test is itself a test, i.e., given to prompt a particular reaction from the applicant, then the interviewers are being too cagey and I doubt I'd be happy working with them. Of course, if you don't get the job, you'd probably never know what their intentions were with the test. This old dog tends to not want to do tricks for food anymore, so I'd probably decline to do it.
--Beth

I have to wonder what this writing test is measuring.