RE: How many technical writers wear different hats?

Subject: RE: How many technical writers wear different hats?
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Craig Cardimon" <cardimon720 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:30:57 -0600

Different hats is what it's all about:

* 9-5, I do operations manuals -- except when I'm taking photos,
interviewing, writing, and laying out a newsletter, editing or writing a
press release, maybe even going on a site visit to a plant, developing a
PowerPoint, or various and sundry other marketing tasks.
* After 5, a couple of nights a week, it's reporting and writing for a
couple of local newspapers.
* Now and then, there's a magazine writing assignment that I'll
freelance, or even write a research paper or create a presentation.
* Several weekend days a month, I'll demonstrate technology in local
retail outlets for a major corporation.
* I also volunteer to compile, design, and prepare a couple of quarterly
newsletters, one for a local church, the other for a jail ministry.

Come to think, as others have also noted, most of my other full-time
positions have required multitasking, too. Especially that time I worked
as one of three full-time staff for an environmental nonprofit.

It can be tiring at times, but it all makes life interesting and really
provides a wonderful opportunity to broaden and deepen your abilities.
Enjoy the ride -- if you're flexible enough to do more or other than you
were first hired to do, you quite possibly may stretch yourself in ways
you likely never imagined. If you're not, in today's workplace, you may
find your tenure shorter than you bargained for.