RE: Terminology for web page elements

Subject: RE: Terminology for web page elements
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:53:36 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: dodd -at- teleport -dot- com

> I looked through the archives and Google, and didn't find
> what I was hoping for, so I thought I'd check in with you .
> I'm looking for a resource that shows the names of typical
> web page elements. I'm looking for names that I can use for
> end-user instructions. I've got the MS Manual of Style, ed.
> 3, and it has two screen shots that very cursorarily label
> web page elements. I was hoping to find something more comprehensive.
> For example, I may need to tell them to click a certain
> button in a certain section of the page, but I don't want to
> say "Click the Send button in the left hand corner on the
> bottom of the page." -- too wordy.

That's all you can do -- in as few words as possible -- because the content
on webpages is 100% optional. If the Send button is visible on the first
screen without the user having to scroll down, you don't need to say where
it is. If something is in the top left corner, you say that. When things are
visible, just say click Send, etc.

Bonnie Granat


WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help
format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content
delivery. Try it today!

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.


Terminology for web page elements: From: dodd

Previous by Author: RE: What to call tabs and tabbed pages
Next by Author: RE: FW: Tech writers: our sad lives; the winter of our disco...
Previous by Thread: Re: Terminology for web page elements
Next by Thread: Re: Terminology for web page elements

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads