Re: Terminology for web page elements

Subject: Re: Terminology for web page elements
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:19:13 -0400

We do have some style agreement. Web pages have three parts: a header, body, and footer. There is a left nav bar or navigation bar or sidebar, a title, banner,or navigation tabs across the top, sometimes a right nav bar or sidebar too, some below the fold elements, links in the footer, a title bar, a toolbar, text, etc. There could be breadcrumbs, hotspots, separators, various buttons, a menu bar, a siteID or logo, pop-up or fly-up (down/out) menus, pop ups, pop overs and pop unders, frames, opt-in boxes, media players, forms, tags, tag clouds, and even a link roll. If there isn't a frequently-used term for what you're trying to express, you might as well invent one. That's how we got all these other terms.

From: dodd -at- teleport -dot- com

I'm looking for a resource that shows the names of typical web page elements.

Bonnie Granat wrote:
the content on webpages is 100% optional.

WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content delivery. Try it today!

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

RE: Terminology for web page elements: From: Bonnie Granat

Previous by Author: Re: White Papers vs. Talking Papers
Next by Author: Re: Contract for a book
Previous by Thread: RE: Terminology for web page elements
Next by Thread: Re: Terminology for web page elements

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads