RE: What to call tabs and tabbed pages

Subject: RE: What to call tabs and tabbed pages
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:20:17 -0400

> -----Original Message-----

> I am documenting a Windows-based product that uses multiple tabs.
> I strongly feel that the "tab" is the little edge piece
> that sticks
> up
> (or out) letting you select a page of information which is thus a
> "tabbed page". Microsoft refer to this "tabbed page" as a
> "Tab" but
> that's a misuse of English.
> How do other writers refer to these "pages"? Is there an
> agreed term
> other than Tab?
> Thanks in advance,

I remember facing this one some years ago. I avoided it (we don't have to
name what they are looking at -- we just need to tell them what they need to
*do*). For example:

"1. Click Tools > Internet Options > Security.
2. Click the icon for the zone whose security you want to set.
3. Under Security Level for This Zone, move the vertical slider to the
level of security you want for that zone." ...
4. Click OK."

Bonnie Granat


WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help
format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content
delivery. Try it today!

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

What to call tabs and tabbed pages: From: Judith McCrea

Previous by Author: RE: What not to write when you have no content
Next by Author: RE: Terminology for web page elements
Previous by Thread: What to call tabs and tabbed pages
Next by Thread: RE: What to call tabs and tabbed pages

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads