What to call tabs and tabbed pages?

Subject: What to call tabs and tabbed pages?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Judith McCrea <Judith -dot- McCrea -at- citect -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:27:44 -0400

Judith McCrea wondered: <<I am documenting a Windows-based product that uses multiple tabs. I strongly feel that the "tab" is the little edge piece that sticks up (or out) letting you select a page of information which is thus a "tabbed page". Microsoft refer to this "tabbed page" as a "Tab" but that's a misuse of English. How do other writers refer to these "pages"?>>

Unusually, I'm with Microsoft on this one: I call the page a "tab". While I'll grant you that this is a neologism, it's an increasingly accepted one, and I've seen it so often I have to believe it's long- since become accepted usage in computer docs. If you want to quibble over definitions, it's worth noting that this is a dialog box, not a page. <g>

The simplest workaround if you really don't accept that logic? "Click the Options tab to display the various settings (options) that you can customize. On this page..." Revise as necessary according to the context, but this lets you focus on the task (you have to click the tab to display the options), while still using your preferred wording (page) for the actual tabbed page.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --

Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

(try geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com if you don't get a reply)


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content delivery. Try it today! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com -dot-
To unsubscribe send a blank email to techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archive%40infoinfocus.com

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ for more resources and info.

What to call tabs and tabbed pages: From: Judith McCrea

Previous by Author: Question about copyrights and "open" standards.
Next by Author: MS Word repeatedly loses auto format table styles?
Previous by Thread: RE: What to call tabs and tabbed pages
Next by Thread: MS Word repeatedly loses auto format table styles

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads