RE: A PDA in every pocket?

Subject: RE: A PDA in every pocket?
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:46:46 -0500

With a PDA, it's a matter of finding the right uses for you, and then
conscientiously turning it a habit. It's making it the habit that's the
hard part.

I use mine daily -- and frequently. I had the paper planner for years,
but I was *NEVER* as organized with that as I am with a PDA. I even
made sure I purchased a purse that had a pocket on the outside that was
perfect for the PDA.

Could I live without my PDA? Of course. Would I want to? Absolutely
not. I'm a working mom, with 3 kids in scouting and other school
activities, and an active member of the PTO.

The best thing is that it syncs up to both my work and home computers,
so I can update info at any time, anywhere. If the PDA dies, or if I
lost it, I could restore the info to a new one almost immediately.

What do I use it for? Here's a sample of the activities I do on a daily
basis with my PDA:

Calendar:
I keep my work calendar, PTO calendar, and the calendars of each
individual family member, up-to-date so I know who needs to be where and
when and what they need to bring. Oh, yeah... Keeps track of the
birthdays and anniversaries too. I also use the calendar to keep track
of when bills need to be paid.

Contacts (phone, addresses, emails):
All work, personal, school, scouting, etc. info is in there. Can't
count the number of times we've been somewhere at an event and somebody
needed someone else's phone number/email/whatever for various purposes.
Or if I needed to record it for my use, it goes straight in the Palm --
no scrap pieces of paper in a pocket to worry about later.

Tasks: If I work at home, I can update a task on my palm or home
computer, and the task will be updated appropriately on my work computer
at the next sync.

Vital information:
I use an encrypted program called SplashID that is worth it's virtual
weight in gold. It keeps track of identification numbers, insurance
policy numbers, account numbers, web logins and passwords, and more.

Games:
I play a couple from time to time (just purchased Sudoku for the
Palm...), and keep other ones on there for my children. If we're
waiting somewhere, the kids always have something to keep them occupied.

Conversion program:
I use it for work, home, etc. Convert all sorts of measurements to
other measurements (temperature, distances, etc.)

KarKare:
Keeps track of my mileage and gas costs, when oil change and other
maintenance is due, etc.

SplashShopper:
Nice database shopping program for groceries and other items. Christmas
lists, etc. all get done in the program. If I see something I like
while I'm out shopping, but don't want to get it now, I'll make a note
in the Wishlist file for later.

I've also downloaded eBooks and read them on it... Not the easiest
screen to read on, but it's nice to have something to read/do in a pinch
if I'm stuck waiting somewhere.

-Carla
cmartinek -at- zebra -dot- com

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com