Re: OT: Working in an unsure climate was RE: What Can We Do?

Subject: Re: OT: Working in an unsure climate was RE: What Can We Do?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:51:04 -0400

> Even though standard job contracts (on-going and contract) have these
> open-ended release statements, how do people avoid being overcome by
> paranoia when they need to keep a constant eye out?

Do you become overcome with paranoia when you install software after
reading the EULA? Similar thing, only this time you're the buyer.

The best advice I can give is read the contract over with your lawyer
before signing it. Know the main points - what terminates the
contract, what the work expectations are, and definitely note anything
that seems fishy and bring it up first with your lawyer and then with
the company before signing. Get everything agreed to in writing, have
your lawyer read it over again, and if all looks good, then you and
the company can sign and enjoy the business deal you've just engaged
in.

I often hear people grumbling about their contracts, and most of the
time they forget that it isn't "employment"... it's a business deal in
which you provide a service to them in exchange for money.

> I'm beginning to get the feeling (maybe unwarranted) that companies are
> becoming increasingly cut-throat to look good on paper.

You bet. And now you have SOX to deal with, which makes the paper that
much more important.

> I guess I'm feeling that my skills for these demands need to be
> improved. I've always been cynical about the workplace, but tried to
> ignore that in performing my job. But I think I need to take some new
> steps so I have better coping skills.

Are you full time or contract? There are different things you need to
be aware of in each of these cases. But do read up on your local and
federal labor laws, and make sure the contracts you sign are to your
liking before you sign them.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com