Re: OT: Working in an unsure climate was RE: What Can We Do?

Subject: Re: OT: Working in an unsure climate was RE: What Can We Do?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:09:59 -0500

If you are worried about what amounts to "employment at will" clauses,
a lawyer will do nothing for you in nearly every case except assure
you that it says what it appears to say. This is not at all likely to
become a negotiable point.

If you disagree, the company will simply get someone else.

Here in Texas, all "regular" employment is employment at will, with no
requirement at all for notice on either part. Some companies, in fact,
will greet an employee giving notice with an immediate termination.
(Been there, done that...)

While it can be extremely upsetting to be suddenly terminated from a
contract (or for one of the temporary "permanent" jobs these days!),
worrying about it in advance beyond reasonable attention to the
negotiation phase seems to me to be misplaced. At some point, we
simply must understand today's job market and be constantly networking
with a regular review and update of our resume.

David

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com