Re: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect?

Subject: Re: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect?
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:56:25 -0500

I think good employers realize that making investments in ongoing
education and training is a smart move, and I don't necessarily think
they would expect an immediate return on their money.

To my mind, paying for employee memberships in a professional
organization (and even occasionally subsidizing employee attendance at
a conference or seminar sponsored by a professional organization) are
part and parcel of helping your people keep their skills current.

Having said that, and without meaning to bash (my STC dues are
current, for what it's worth, and my current employer doesn't pay for
them) I think I could probably get better bang for the buck elsewhere.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://enrevanche.blogspot.com

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:05:30 -0500, T.W. Smith <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Let's say your an employer.
>
> And you gots a pubs dept. with 5 writers and a pubs manager.
>
> What would you, as the employer (meaning the boss of the pubs manager)
> want to get in return for signing your crew up for the STC?
>
> Am NOT (repeat: NOT) looking for bashing here.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com