File Naming Convention <was ...Documentum Forum>

Subject: File Naming Convention <was ...Documentum Forum>
From: jopakent -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:22:20 +0000

<cross-posted TekWhirlers and Word PC>

Thanks for those who recommended the Yahoo Documentum forum, I'll take that part of my question there.

However, the real question I need to address is more "on-topic" for these lists.

Does your department use a file naming convention that includes the document version number? I'm not asking about including the product version number, but the document version number.

So for version 2.5 of the product, when you prepare to send out the first draft of the document for review, you'd name it:

Cool Product 2.5 Operator's Guide v1.0 with a file name something like:
Cool_Product_2.5_Operators_Guide_v1-0.doc.

Then you get back all of the reviews, revise that draft and decide to send it out for an additional review. You change the name to:

Cool Product 2.5 Operator's Guide v1.1 & name it: Cool_Product_2.5_Operators_Guide_v1-1.doc.

This way if someone comes back with questions and you want to know which review cycle the questions are coming from you can look either at the file name or guide name for a quick answer.

As I said, this the file naming issue is the underlying question beneath my earlier post. If there is a more elegant solution to all of this, we won't need to try to figure out how to make Documentum perform this new trick.

Thanks for your input,

--
J. Paul Kent
206-383-0539

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com