Re: How to approach this task?

Subject: Re: How to approach this task?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 06:48:00 -0800 (PST)

(reposted because I left out the subject line)

Sorry, I have to disagree with the idea of setting out to create some
kind of orientation guide.

If you document their current processes as a precursor to a
re-engineering initiative supported by management, great - go for it.
Just make sure everybody understands your project in that context.

But if management thinks everything is fine and they just need a tech
writer to write it down, I think that's a mistake. I've done those jobs
and without exception, management has some fundamental misconceptions
about the project.

OK, now for some constructive suggestions. Since this is a software
company, the source code is the crown jewels, so find out if the
following docs exist, and if they don't, create them:

1. The first thing to document is configuration management and version
control. Is it solid, or does it need to be re-evaluated?
2. Next, create some runctional requirements (because otherwise what
are you going to test against?)
3. Then document the interfaces and APIs (because how can you sell it
if nobody can connect to it?)
4. Then create some detailed technical specs of system internals.

Guy wrote:
> What the IT group needs is someone to come in and
> organize/orchestrate the info and business processes
> involved in getting stuff onto the site.

I'd suggest initially centralizing everything through you. Once you get
a handle on the nature of the material then you can start writing some
SOPs or automation scripts.

> Customer support, bug reporting/tracking system, all
> the things a modern software company site should have.

These things are in the domain of a QA manager and a configuration
manager. Depending on the size of the company, you may not be able to
wear all those hats.

Mike O.

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com