Thank you, Mr. Kovitz - CMS

Subject: Thank you, Mr. Kovitz - CMS
From: "Stevenson, Rebecca" <Rebecca -dot- Stevenson -at- workscape -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:12:42 -0500

David,

Thank you for the suggestions and resources - I didn't realize there
were so many CMS options out there. This is not actually a document
storage/retrieval project, however (at least I don't think so); I'm
building a requirements-gathering tool for our business analysts. Maybe
I'm not thinking about CMS the right way, but I think our problem lies
in a different space.

FWIW, I'm certain Access isn't the best possible solution -- we are
actually talking to some consultants about some whiz-bang InfoPath
application atop SQL Server for the long term -- but this was originally
project-scoped as a Word template, and I still have these constraints:

- no budget
- no help
- very little time

So it's very much a "work with what we have" situation.

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Publications | Document Development Workscape, Inc.
PH: x3059 AIM: RJSWriter

Subject: Re: Thank you, Mr. Kovitz
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:52:18 -0600

Rebecca,

Before you go too far, I would suggest considering a different database
than Access. There are a number of free ones that have much cleaner
facilities for moving to other database engines should you need to do so
later.

In addition, if your database becomes very large, you may run into
capacity and performance issues with Access.

All of which said, I would also suggest considering a CMS (content
management system) with a database at its heart. Since these are
designed as textual storage and retrieval engines, you may find them
much friendlier for your users to deal with.

To that end, you might look at http://www.cmsreview.com/ and
http://www.cmswiki.com/tiki-index.php to get you going.

Using a relational database for document storage and retrieval can get
fairly ugly...with a CMS running on top of it, the whole thing becomes
much more manageable.

David

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL. If you
immediately.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com