Thank you, Mr. Kovitz

Subject: Thank you, Mr. Kovitz
From: "Stevenson, Rebecca" <Rebecca -dot- Stevenson -at- workscape -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:44:41 -0500

I mentioned a while back that I was reading Practical Software
Requirements. It's turned out to be very helpful to my current project,
so I thought public props were in order.

It all started when the team on my project decided that the document I
was working on would be more useful as a database. Pending any funding
to get people who know what they're doing to build this, I've been
drafted to implement something in Access (which I'd never used before,
and my Visual Basic has gone untouched for five years). At a meeting
last week in which "requirements" appeared fast and furiously, none of
them things people had thought to ask for back when this was going to be
a text document and most of them conflations of behavior and UI design,
I decided that if I'm going to do this I will at least try to have
proper requirements (and a spec!), to forestall any "but we wanted it to
do something else" discussions later on.

I'm about one third of the way into my problem domain description and
already uncovering things I hadn't thought about. This is a new kind of
document for me, and it's proving rather fun.

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Publications | Document Development
Workscape, Inc.
PH: x3059 AIM: RJSWriter

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL. If you
immediately.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com