Re: Thank you, Mr. Kovitz - CMS

Subject: Re: Thank you, Mr. Kovitz - CMS
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:06:41 -0600

Rebecca,

For requirements gathering, a Web forms solution on your Intranet may
be better still. The results could easily be collected in a no-cost
database (PostgreSQL, perhaps) for later analysis.

Going automatically to a Microsoft solution would not, to me, seem to
be the way to go when you have "no budget."

If you're got someone with some scripting experience around, you could
have that person put together such a requirements input form using
Python very, very quickly...and there are a plethora of database
bindings for Python.

Of course, using Python (free) and PostgreSQL (also free) would be
very budget-friendly.

Perhaps what you're after is more complex than I am imagining?

On the other hand, a CMS properly established keeps such issues as
versioning to be a no-brainer.

There are many other quite creative optionis. For istance, you might
institute a wiki and make it available to the analysts. That way,
everyone could contribute and avoid needless duplication. I posted a
link some days ago for DokuWiki, which seems designed for this kind of
situation...

David

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:12:42 -0500, Stevenson, Rebecca
<Rebecca -dot- Stevenson -at- workscape -dot- com> wrote:

> David,
>
> Thank you for the suggestions and resources - I didn't realize there
> were so many CMS options out there. This is not actually a document
> storage/retrieval project, however (at least I don't think so); I'm
> building a requirements-gathering tool for our business analysts. Maybe
> I'm not thinking about CMS the right way, but I think our problem lies
> in a different space.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com