Ergonomics; was: Re: keyboard hrs vs non-keyboard hrs

Subject: Ergonomics; was: Re: keyboard hrs vs non-keyboard hrs
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:40:52 -0600

This seems a good time to visit a bit about ergonomics issues. I have
two suggestions for keyboards and one for a mouse that make sense from
an ergonomic perspective.

If you are a touch-typist and willing to make a substantial
transition, it presently appears the best keyboard from an ergonomic
standpoint is the SafeType. It keeps the carpal tunnel in proper
alignment--but obviously takes some getting used to. See
http://www.safetype.com/

If this kind of radical change isn't your cup of tea, I suggest the
Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2. This is about the size of a half sheet
of paper--so less stretching to reach everything!--but the keys are
full sized. I own the previous version, and love it. See
http://store.yahoo.com/pfuca-store/haphackeylit1.html
(They also have a more presumably more durable kind that works with
various kinds of computers including Sun, but it costs more).

The mouse that seems to be the ergonomic ticket these days is the
Quill Mouse. http://www.quillmouse.com/ These folks also have some
other interesting products...such as software that makes mousing
"clickless".

You should also look at their materials on posture, I think.

I hope this helps!

David

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com