Trados as a style guide enforcement tool - update

Subject: Trados as a style guide enforcement tool - update
From: "Joe Campo" <jcampo -at- solidworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:04:23 -0400

I posted this question on 6/24/04:

"My questions:

- Could the writers use the Trados translation memory as a base, and run
our new English documentation, or even our changed documentation,
through that memory to try to enforce our style guide? Does any writer
or translator have experience using Trados this way?

- Would the writers have to be very proficient in Trados to do this, or
would this be not too difficult to learn?

- Does anyone have relevant experience automating style guide
enforcement another way, and if yes, how do you achieve this?"

I received a few requests to post my findings. Results were:

- I received only brief emails saying this could be done, with no
details.
- I received one phone call from a person who is implementing an SDLX
solution similar to the description above. SDLX is a competitor to
Trados,

I am still experimenting with Trados and SDLX for potential solutions.
If anyone is interested in the results of our tests, email me directly
and I will reply.

Regards

Joseph Campo
Technical Writer | Documentation Department
SolidWorks Corporation | 300 Baker Avenue, Concord, Massachusetts 01742
USA
Phone: 1-978-371-5164 | Fax 1-978-371-7303 | jcampo -at- solidworks -dot- com |
www.solidworks.com

SolidWorks - The World's #1 Mainstream 3D Design Software
#1 in production | #1 in customer satisfaction | #1 in sales

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com