Trados and controlled language

Subject: Trados and controlled language
From: "Joe Campo" <jcampo -at- solidworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:17:16 -0400

Background
We author topics in RoboHelp HTML. In-house translators use Trados to localize the English text. So there is an existing translation memory. I have never used Trados so please excuse me if my questions are naive.

Questions
Could our tech writers use Trados to implement a "semi-controlled" language system for the English documentation, as follows?

Could our technical writers run new English html topics through the existing English translation memory in Trados to find unmatched or fuzzy matched English to English text?

If yes, we could try to rewrite the new text to match existing English text. Then when we send the new text to our translators, that text would already match text in the translators existing database and instantaneously translate. This would reduce the amount of time translators would need to localize new documents.

If anyone has used Trados this way or can help me understand if such usage is possible, I would appreciate it.

Thanks very much.

Joseph Campo
Technical Writer | Documentation Department
SolidWorks Corporation | 300 Baker Avenue | Concord | MA | 01742 | USA
Phone: +1-978-371-5164 | Fax: +1-978-371-7303 | jcampo -at- solidworks -dot- com
www.solidworks.com

SolidWorks - The World's #1 Mainstream 3D Design Software
#1 in production | #1 in customer satisfaction | #1 in sales

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com