RE: Interleaf to FM Conversion

Subject: RE: Interleaf to FM Conversion
From: "Hauglie, Joe" <jhauglie -at- ti -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:31:49 -0500

I don't recall seeing the original message in this thread, either, but I
can address some of Geoff Hart's message:

<snip>
Does the current incarnation of Interleaf provide good support for HTML
or (better still) XML? If so, you can almost certainly export the
Interleaf files in a format that Frame can read and import with much or
even all of the tagging intact. That's particularly true if the
Interleaf document is at all well-structured. You'll always lose some
formatting (every program defines formats in a different and
incompatible manner), but that's the easy part of the job; getting all
the text across safely is the hard part.

As noted above, that's an educated guess. But the principle is clear:
Interleaf must be able to export files in one or more standard file
formats, and one of these formats should meet your needs.
<snip>

We are using ILeaf 1.5 and moving to 2.0, and both offer good support
for XML (probably better than HTML, in fact). We are generally
converting FM to Ileaf instead of the other way around, though, because
Ileaf has been the system of choice for several years; the FM docs we
have are limited in number (though not in size). The conversion
processes use a series of standard scripts to do the translation, and
it's adequate (but time-consuming), so we generally outsource the
conversions we have left to complete if time allows.

I could probably dig up the contact information for the vendor if
necessary, but I have no idea what the costs are.

Hope this helps -

Respectfully,

Joe Hauglie
Technical Editor