"White paper that is en route to be adopted as a law in all European states"

Subject: "White paper that is en route to be adopted as a law in all European states"
From: "HALL Bill" <Bill -dot- HALL -at- Tenix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:23:15 +1000

Dan Goldstein said,

| We should probably take a look at that "white paper that is
| en route to be
| adopted as a law in all European states." It's easy to
| imagine a future in
| which documentation must conform to this law in order for a
| product to be
| marketed in EU countries. <shudder>
|
| Does anyone have a link to the abovementioned white paper?

This issue has been discussed recently on the Technical Communicators
Association of New Zealand forum (see http://www.tcanz.org.nz.

http://www.dokumentoijat.net/english/kansainvalinen/securedoc.php
>>>and http://www.tceurope.org/securedoc/abouttheproject.htm )
>>>
>>>Blurb from the iSTC's website: "The iSTC's work
>>><http://www.istc.org.uk/pages/shop.php#securedoc>* in TCeurope has
>>>resulted in the above guideline, created with the support of the
>>>Commission of the European Communities. This guideline aims to help
you
>>>produce documentation that meets all the appropriate quality and
legal
>>>requirements, creating a positive image for the product./ //**//*
Free
>>>to members of TCeurope societies*/, it may also be purchased by
>>>non-members."
>>>
>>>see http://www.istc.org.uk/index.php

a FREE non-draft version (1.0, dated 2004) of the guidelines here:
www.tceurope.org/pdf/securedoc1_04.pdf

<<I particularly like the comments about what technical writers
supply!>>

More interesting reading (PDFs) on vocational training and education for

TC's, and barrier-free access to technical information available here:
http://www.tceurope.org/publications/publications.htm

Regards,

Bill Hall

Documentation Systems Analyst
Head Office, Engineering
Tenix Defence
Williamstown, Vic. 3016
Phone: 03 9244 4820
Email:bill -dot- hall -at- tenix -dot- com

Honorary Research Fellow
Knowledge Management Lab
School of Information Management & Systems
Monash University
Caulfield East, Vic. 3145

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com