Redefining the "Normal" style is MS Word?

Subject: Redefining the "Normal" style is MS Word?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:47:43 -0400

Amelia DeLoach wondered: <<I've made a few changes to the Normal style in a MS Word template but know that, based on historical posts to this list, this is typically not a good idea. However, it's difficult to tell if it's ALWAYS a bad idea to do this.>>

There are two problems. First, in a fit of inspired poor design, Word ships with many styles (including headings!) based on Normal. So if you change Normal, all other styles based on it (including headings) change too. Second, because every template seems to ship with Normal as part of it, the first time someone accidentally selects the "automatically update style setting", your copy of the Normal style gets clobbered.

So it's not _always_ a bad thing, but if you're not the only one using the templates, it is potentially asking for trouble. For that matter, it's trouble if you yourself get careless. I use Normal in my own templates simply because I'm too darned lazy to rebind the Command-Shift-N keyboard shortcut ("assign the Normal style") to another style.

<<I was tasked to create templates for non-tech writers and document designers who will change the style "Body Text" to "Normal." I've seen them do this many times... (Also, ALL styles are independent of one another in the event someone attempts to change one style.) ... Having any of you successfully done something like this? What should we watch out for>>

Alas, there's no way to make this foolproof. Unskilled users are particularly gifted at screwing up the use of templates and stules, and even people who should know better often mess things up. If you want them to reliably change body text to Normal, the only safe way to do it is to record a macro that does this for you, add a toolbar button containing the macro in the template you're using, and teach them to click the button. Even then I'm sure someone will find a way to screw it up.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com