Re: Redefining the "Normal" style is MS Word

Subject: Re: Redefining the "Normal" style is MS Word
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:16:14 +0100

Hi Amelia,

Somebody came up with some very simple ideas a few weeks ago that I have been following quite successfully since. In essence:
Create a new template
Don't use the Normal style in it, use Body Text as the standard
When defining the parameters for text styles always change "Style based on:" from Normal to 'no style' (at the top of the list, but you sem to have this one covered), and "Style for following" as Body text
Bring a baseball bat to work and use it on any of your cow-orkers that insist on using Normal instead of Body text.

As long as you don't have Normal in your Formatting in Use list most people won't go looking for Normal. They will, of course, add some formatting to one of the styles used, but, with the required styles somewhere on the template these become much easier to change... and there's always the baseball bat!

Good luck,
Ant

Amelia DeLoach wrote:

I've made a few changes to the Normal style in a MS
Word template but know that, based on historical posts
to this list, this is typically not a good idea.

However, it's difficult to tell if it's ALWAYS a bad
idea to do this. I was tasked to create templates for
non-tech writers and document designers who will
change the style "Body Text" to "Normal." I've seen
them do this many times. That said, the following
minor modifications were made to the Normal template:

* Font = Times New Roman, 11 pt.
* Leading = 14 pt.
* Indent = .75 (Left) 0 (Right)
* Paragraph spacing = 6 pt.

(Also, ALL styles are independent of one another in
the event someone attempts to change one style.)

Having any of you successfully done something like
this? What should we watch out for?

Amelia DeLoach

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com