Comparing the MS Word normal style on two computers?

Subject: Comparing the MS Word normal style on two computers?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:01:28 -0400

Guy Haas exegetiously wondered: <<When my wife composes a Word document on her (Win2K) laptop and sends it to me, and I open it on my (Win 98) desktop system, there are significant layout differences. It could be margins, leading, kerning, whatever, but pages she has carefully laid out are all wonky on my system. Pages break where they should not. Flows between columns break at different points, etc.>>

Odds are good that you've got a simple problem to solve: Word formats type based on the printer driver that you've selected. Use a different driver, and you get different results. So if you can both arrange to use the same driver (usually downloadable), then selecting that as your system printer should solve your problems.

Repeat after me: Word is not a page layout program, it's a word processor with pretensions. <g> A mighty fine word processor, but just a word processor. You can make Word do layout, but it fights you every step of the way and bites your butt as soon as your back is turned.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com