Re: A brief intro and a few newbie questions

Subject: Re: A brief intro and a few newbie questions
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:03:00 -0500

I'm going out on a limb, and steeling myself for controversy, but here goes.

I'm not long out of the newbie phase myself - The job I currently have is
only my second "real" techwriting job, and I've been at it for just over a
year. Prior to that, my previous job as a writer lasted a little over a
year, but was rather limited in scope. I've identified myself as a
techwriter for four years or longer, which is why I don't consider myself a
newbie. I'm still learning a lot about the field...

I advocate that you don't spend your time *just* studying English grammar
and writing...spend some time reviewing the job ads in your targeted
geographical location to determine what skills are requested most often.
Learn those skills to make sure your competative and marketable in that
area. This is regardless of what type of skills they are - technological,
tools, or deliverables.

I've spent a lot of time in the job market, and I found that hiring types
aren't flexible. They don't listen to "oh, I know the *theory* of help
files." They want to know you've created a help file. With the software
they've invested in. Same with paper manuals, or whatever.

Take the time to use these products and create the types of files - even if
you do it on your own...

Being a sys admin, I'm sure there are *plenty* of things to document around
the job. Create these docs in mulitple formats, both paper and electronic,
and consider multiple audiences. (for example: what would a person majoring
in systems administration need to know? What would the run-of-the-mill
college student need to know?). If you have the inclination, use each
product to create the various formats. For example, create a FrameMaker
doc, and use Acrobat and WebWorks to convert the docs to PDF and HTML/Help.
Recreate the doc in RoboHelp and do the same. Add those pieces to your
portfolio.

If you have the funds, check with your college bookstore - there may be
academic versions of all the software available at a reduced cost, just so
you can learn them.

Jeff Hanvey
Thomson, GA
jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk