Re: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: Re: Adobe adds product activation
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:32:19 -0400

>From Woody's Office Watch #8.42 (today)

==============begin quote===============

Microsoft really wants to sell you a copy of Office 2003. Office has been
running out of steam for years. There's an interesting analysis at
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/microsoft/2001770972_microsoft21.html
which claims that in Microsoft's past three fiscal years:

> Windows sales have gone up 14% per year, on average;

> Server software sales have gone up 13% per year, on average;

> But Office sales have only increased 5% per year, on average.

I won't vouch for the figures. But it does make one wonder.

==============end quote=================

I won't say that office sales are sluggish because of activation. In fact, I
think it has more to do with the fact that Office 2000 is well-entrenched.
>From what I gather, OXP had so little in the way of "new" features or
stability that most people continued onward with O2K.

Of course, it would be interesting to compare the sales of MSOffice to sales
of other products, or the adoption of open source products.

Jeff Hanvey
Thomson, GA
jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk
http://www.jewahe.net